Monday, May 9, 2011

The Death of Osama Bin Laden

There was cheering in the streets, emails passing around the world, high fives and screams of happiness and joy.  But was it right to celebrate the death of a human being?  If we call ourselves the greatest nation in the history of the world, if we say that we are a God fearing culture that believes in the sanctity of the individual and condemn those who would even support the concept of abortion can we be exalted in the termination of a man for whatever reason?  NO.

I, like you, do not rejoice in the death of Osama Bin Laden.  I am not pleased that our nation’s military might was used to stop the bodily functions of this man.  I find no cheer in his last gasp of air.  But neither will I shed a tear that he is gone.

The leader of the insurrection, the architect of the war has been eliminated by paying the same price that so many innocents have been forced to pay and in that I am happy.  Osama means nothing to me but the cause of the battle is no longer and I see no reason to be sad over it.

This does not make me an advocate of capital punishment.  The taking of a life is not something that can be justified based on circumstance and personal definition.  In my eyes it is wrong and the fact that Bin Laden “started it” is an insignificant fact.  That is an argument that would allow others to control my actions and that is something I can not allow.  But capital punishment was avoidable and only became a consequence when the plans were approved to bomb the USS Cole.  We are responsible for our actions and the actions of others when we are the cause.

So, I am not happy that he is dead but I am happy that possibly the end is in sight for the ridiculous murders that have resulted from the ego and false interpretations of God and Gods will.  I am happy that more people will be able to shed their camouflage uniforms and come home.  I am happy that the people of the world will be able to see and appreciate the problems of the Arab and Muslim people without the distortion that results when a Bin Laden is around.

I am also sorry for Charlie the Tuna, Orca, Sponge Bob Square Pants, and even Moby Dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment